We’re coming up on prime grilling time, and we’d like to take a moment to remind to always keep safety in mind when grilling. July is the largest month for grilling related fires.
Here’s some tips from the NFPA’s Grilling Safety Tips
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
- There are several ways to get the charcoal ready to use. Charcoal chimney starters allow you to start the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel.
- If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
- Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
- There are also electric charcoal starters, which do not use fire. Be sure to use an extension cord for outdoor use.
- When you are finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
About Trimble Insurance
Trimble Insurance is a family owned business spanning four generations. Serving the personal and commercial insurance needs of Delaware County and all of Central Ohio, Trimble Insurance is a leading independent agency. In addition to homeowners and auto insurance, Trimble insures businesses of all types and specializes in contractors, energy, bonds, manufacturing, auto related, distributors, farms and agribusiness, and other industries. www.trimbleins.com